Sunday, February 9, 2014

Can't Wait Books of 2014!

I can't help myself. I always look ahead to see what new books are coming out in the up-coming year and torture myself with the knowledge that these can't-wait titles are still weeks, months, a whole bloody year away from ending up in my e-reader! I can't stop myself, though, and so to share my torment with all of you lovely fellow readers who are waiting on these books too I have come up with a "Top 10" list of the books I am dying to get my hands on this year. Maybe you are counting down the days till some of these come out too, or perhaps you didn't know your fav author was releasing a new title until now ... well, I invite you to join me in my teeth-grinding wait for publication dates. Misery loves company, yes?

Coming in at #1...

Mirror Sight 
Green Rider Series #5
Kristen Britain
May 6th

I have read and re-read the stories of Karigan's adventures many times. I started in middle school, continued through high school, and they became my escape during finals in college. Like George R. R. Martin, Kristen Britain gets a lot of grief for taking an eternity to release her books. Personally, I'll sit tight and wait so long as she delivers a great read. She hasn't let me down yet, so I will continue to give Kristen the benefit of the doubt and continue agonizing in silence until May.

Sliding in at #2...

Why Kings Confess
Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries #9
C. S. Harris
March 4th

I discovered the Sebastian St. Cyr books about two years ago and can safely say that I was addicted from the first. Before I read What Angels Fear I had seen a description of Sebastian that hooked me: a cross between Mr. Darcy and James Bond. I have found the description delightfully apt, and devour these stories like candy! My biggest hope for Book #9 is that at least one of the major story arcs will show some definite progression, though I will settle for poor Hero finally having their baby (How many books has she been pregnant? Poor dear!).

And for the bronze at #3...

City of Jasmine
Deanna Raybourn
February 25th

For all of those who enjoyed A Whisper of Jasmine, the shortie prequel Raybourn released earlier this month, I know that you are as excited as I am to dive into Evie Starke's story. I enjoyed the Lady Julia books, but Raybourn seems to really be coming into her own now that she has moved away from the Victorian lady sleuth. After her success with A Spear of Summer Grass and the bright promise of Whisper, I can't wait to see what she has in store for her readership!

A solid #4...

Daughter of the Gods
Stephanie Thornton
May 6th

I loved The Secret History and how unapologetic and brazen Thornton was in her treatment of a story that was never meant to be handled delicately. After finishing I immediately hopped onto her website to see what else she had in the works and was delighted to see that she was revving up for several books about strong female icons from history who have been neglected by authors until now. This will be her next foray into the annals of history, and who more appropriate for her to apply her talents to than Hatshepsut?

Stepping up for #5...

Silver Mirrors
The Apparatus Infernum #2
A. A. Aguirre
April 29th

I haven't read much steampunk, but the first book of the The Apparatus Infernum is where I started and I was blown away! Celeste and Janus provide an intriguing blend of steampunk fantasy and mystery, delivering a thrill ride set in a fascinatingly original reality. Dark entities set to work at the conclusion of the first book that will clearly make things interesting as the series progresses.

Give it up for #6...

Queen of Hearts
Her Royal Spyness Mysteries #8
Rhys Bowen
August 5th

Georgie and dear Darcy were off their game in their last outing, Airs and Graces, but I'm holding out hope for them in this next cozy by Bowen. Our favorite penniless member of the royal family is off for Hollywood and who knows what mayhem she'll stir up?



Landing #7...

The Bone Season #2
Samantha Shannon
September 25th

Don't know the title yet (though Shannon and her publisher have decided on one, apparently), don't know what the cover will look like, and no synopsis, but we have a release date!





All about #8...

The Last Queen of India
Michelle Moran
July 7th

Moran has proven that good writers improve over time, developing their styles and broadening the talent they bring to the table. Each of her Egyptian books was progressively stronger, and now she sets her sights on a pivotal period in India's history.




A strong #9...

The Collector of Dying Breaths
The Reincarnationist #6
M. J. Rose
April 8th

I'll admit, I haven't read any of the other books in this series. I generally would never even consider reading out of order, but this really caught my eye. I might very well get the first five read before April, but even if I don't I might just dive into #6 anyway.
As a side note, this has to be one of the most beautiful covers coming out in 2014!

In for #10...

The Red Lily Crown
Elizabeth Loupas
April 1st

Hopefully this release date isn't an April Fool's Day joke...

Loupas has applied her talents to Renaissance Italy before, though this time she will be treating us to the heart of Medici power.




Well, that's my Top 10 Can't Wait Books of 2014! What are yours?

1 comment: